|Navigate By...||...Back to All Ordinances|
|Related Area:||| Committees | | Parks ||
|Related Elkins Municipal Code (EMC):||| Chapter 12.04 | | Section 12.04.01 | | Section 12.04.02 | | Section 12.04.03 | | Section 12.04.04 | | Section 12.04.05 | | Title 12 ||
|Related Year:||2019 ||
Ordinance #: 6-20-2019A
CITY OF ELKINS, WASHINGTON COUNTY, ARKANSAS
AN ORDINANCE AMENDING CHAPTER 12.04 PARKS AND RECREATION COMMITTEE OF TITLE 12 PARKS AND RECREATION-LIBRARY-HISTORICAL SOCIETY OF THE CITY OF ELKINS MUNICIPAL CODE IN ORDER TO REVISE THE DUTIES OF THE PARKS AND RECREATION COMMITTEE.
WHEREAS, on or about July 24, 1998, the City Council of the City of Elkins adopted Ordinance No. 7-16-98b establishing, defining and delineating the Elkins Advisory Parks and Recreation Committee, and said Ordinance No. 7-16-98b, as it has been amended multiple times and was thereafter codified within Chapter 12.04: PARKS AND RECREATION COMMITTEE of Title 12: PARKS AND RECREATION-LIBRARY-HISTORICAL SOCIETY in the Elkins Municipal Code; and
WHEREAS, it has come to the attention of the City Council of the City of Elkins that Chapter 12.04: PARKS AND RECREATION COMMITTEE of Title 12: PARKS AND RECREATION-LIBRARY-HISTORICAL SOCIETY of the Elkins Municipal Code needs to be revised and amended and recommends that the revisions be approved; and
WHEREAS, having fully reviewed the proposed amendment, the Elkins City Council has determined that Chapter 12.04: PARKS AND RECREATION COMMITTEE of Title 12: PARKS AND RECREATION-LIBRARY-HISTORICAL SOCIETY of the Elkins Municipal Code should be revised and amended, as set forth below.
NOW THEREFORE, BE IT ENACTED, by the City Council of the City of Elkins, as follows:
Section 1. Chapter 12.04 of the Elkins Code of Ordinances is revised and amended and shall now read as follows:
- There is hereby created an advisory committee for parks and recreation which shall be known as the “Elkins Advisory Park and Recreation Committee.” Such committee shall have such duties and be made up as hereinafter provided and shall perform such services for the City of Elkins and the City Council as may be hereinafter or hereafter set forth and specified.
- There shall be duties of the Elkins Advisory Parks and Recreation Committee (hereinafter referred to as the “Committee”):
- prepare development plans for present parks and for future park areas;
- Investigate all federal programs for park and recreation development and prepare necessary forms;
- Investigate and locate grants from the state or other authorities for financial assistance in planning and/or developing parks and recreation programs in the city;
- Develop a park maintenance program;
- Adopt such rules and regulations as are necessary for the conduct of business at their meetings and concerning use, enjoyment of city owned/operated park and recreation facilities;
- Hold public hearings or otherwise solicit public input on plans and proposals as may be prudent; and
- Perform such other duties and conduct such other activities in connection with the parks, recreation and cultural needs of the residents of the city as the Council shall from time to time.
- The Committee shall be composed of no more than seven members, appointed by the Mayor and confirmed by the City Council. Vacancies shall be filled by appointment by the Mayor. At least one member of the Committee shall be a current member of the Elkins City Council. Each member of the Committee shall serve a term of two (2) years; provided, the term of a Committee member who is the representative from the City Council shall automatically terminate should that committee member no longer be a member of the Elkins City Council.
- All members of the Committee shall be residents of the City of Elkins. All members shall serve without compensation for their service on the Committee.
- The terms of the initial members of the Committee shall be as follows:
four members shall be appointed for three (3) years and three members shall be appointed for two (2) years; as each of the initial members of the Committee end their initial appointment term, their successors shall be appointed for two (2) year terms, which shall eventually provide for approximately one-half of the Committee to have their terms expire each year.
- The Committee shall meet periodically, as needed, but no less than quarterly. The Committee shall determine the dates for each monthly meeting either by setting it on a particular day of the month each month or at each Committee meeting, they shall then and there select and announce the date and time for the meeting the following month; however, should the Committee choose to select the time and date for the monthly on a monthly basis, the Committee shall post, in fifteen (15) days before the next monthly meeting of the place, date and time for the next scheduled meeting.
- The Committee shall advise and recommend to the City Council and the Mayor on all aspects of parks and recreation activities. Annually, the Committee shall develop a suggested work program and opening budget to be submitted to the Council by the second Thursday of November in each year for the subsequent year. The Committee shall also recommend priorities for capital improvements and means for financing same and shall prepare an annual progress report on the various parks and recreation activities.
12.04.05 Appropriation of Funds. The City Council may, at any time, appropriate funds from the General Revenue Fund or other available funds to provide the necessary funds for the operation of the Committee’s parks and recreation programs.
Section 2. The Elkins Municipal Code for the City of Elkins, Arkansas shall remain unchanged in all respects other than those mentioned herein above.
Section 3. Any and all ordinance which are in conflict with this ordinance are repealed to the extent of the conflict and if any part of this ordinance is declared to be unconstitutional or illegal in anyway, that status shall not affect the remaining parts of this ordinance and those parts shall remain in full force and effect.
PASSED AND APPROVED this day of