AN ORDINANCE ESTABLISHING, DEFINING AND DELINEATING THE ELKINS COMMUNITY CENTER BOARD, AND FOR OTHER PURPOSES
WHEREAS, it is the intent and desire of the City Council to enlist area citizens to give oversight, vision to and recommend to the Council direction, operation and development of the Elkins Community Center.
WHEREAS, the City Council desires the participation and input of a diverse cross-section of the area residents to help in the process;
WHEREAS, the City Council desires to create a Board for the purpose of evaluating and developing the various plans, programs and guidelines for the Community Center in order to allow it to better meet the needs of the community now and in the future and to advise the City Council in relation thereto;
NOW BE IT THEREFORE ORDAINED BY THE CITY COUNCIL OF ELKINS, ARKANSAS that:
Section 1: Creation There is hereby created an Advisory Board which shall be known as the “Elkins Community Center Board”. Such shall have the duties and be made up as hereinafter provided and shall perform such services for the City of Elkins and the City Council as may be hereinafter or hereafter set forth and specified.
Section 2: Duties These shall be the duties of the Elkins Community Center Board (hereinafter referred to as “Board):
- Review and evaluate the prior uses, function and operation of the Elkins Community Center;
- Visit, explore and become familiar with the physical layout, size, capacity and characteristics of the Elkins Community Center;
- Review and analyze the financial aspects, value, income, expenses and needs of the Elkins Community Center;
- Review the current policies and practices utilized to reserve times and use of the Elkins Community Center and to recommend to the City Council policies to be considered in regard to future reservation practices;
- Review the current fees and various charges for use of the Elkins Community Center and the payment process utilized and make recommendations to the City Council concerning such fees, charges, payment options and whether deposits and the amounts of deposits (if any) should be required;
- Consider, formulate and make recommendation to the City Council goals for the Elkins Community Center to be adopted, posted and sought;
- Consider, formulate and make recommendation to the City Council of Rules of Use for the Elkins Community Center to be adopted, posted and followed;
- Recommend to the City Council singular and/or multiple-stage improvement projects for the Elkins Community Center;
- Investigate state/federal programs for grants, assistance and funding of community centers/related activities, collect necessary forms;
- Investigate and locate private grants or other financial assistance for use in carrying out the goals of the Elkins Community Center.
- Develop and assist in implementation of improvement projects and efforts related to the Elkins Community Center;
- Adopt such rules and regulations, elect officers and take such steps as are necessary for the conduct of business at their meetings;
- Formulate plans and programs to improve city-wide knowledge and recognition of events and activities which occur at or are planned at the Elkins Community Center;
- Hold public hearings or otherwise solicit public input on ideas, desires, plans and proposals as may be prudent; and,
- Perform such other duties and conduct such other activities in connection with the Elkins Community Center as the Council shall from time to time assign.
Section 3: Composition, Compensation
- The Elkins Community Center Board shall be composed of ______ members, appointed by the Mayor and confirmed by the City Council. Vacancies shall be filled by appointment by the Mayor and confirmed by the City Council. At least one member of the Elkins Community Center Board should be a current member of the Elkins City Council. Each member of the Elkins Community Center Board (other than initial members) shall serve a term of five (5) years; provided, the term of any Elkins Community Center board member who is the representative from the City Council shall automatically terminate should that Board member no longer be a member of the Elkins City Council.
- The majority of the members of the Elkins Community Center Board shall be residents of the City of Elkins and all members shall serve without compensation.
- The terms of the initial members of the Elkins Community Center Board shall be as follows:
One member shall be appointed for five (5) years and
one member shall be appointed for four (4) years and
one member shall be appointed for three (3) years and
one member shall be appointed for two (2) years and
one member shall be appointed for one (1) year.
As each of the initial members of the Elkins Community Center Board end their initial appointment term, their successors shall be appointed for five (5) year terms, which shall eventually provide for approximately one-fifth of the Elkins Community Center Board to have their terms expire each year. No member of the Elkins Community Center Board shall serve more than two (2) consecutive terms.
Section 4: Meetings, Responsibilities
- The Elkins Community Center Board shall meet at least quarterly. The Elkins Community Center Board shall determine the dates for each meeting either by setting it on a particular day of the month/quarter or at each Elkins Community Center Board meeting, they shall then and there select and announce the date and time for the next meeting; however, should the Elkins Community Center Board choose to select the place, time and date for the next meeting at the previous meeting, then the Elkins Community Center Board shall post, in the five (5) public places selected by the City Council for posting of Council agendas, etc., a Notice, at least fifteen (15) days before the next meeting of the place, date and time for the next regular meeting. Notice of all meetings of the Elkins Community Center Board shall be provided to the Elkins Mayor and City Office Manager at least fifteen (15) days before such regular meeting. Special meetings may be called upon the written agreement of three (3) or more members of the Board or by the Mayor or City Council; notice of a special meeting shall be given to each member of the Board available, the Elkins Mayor, the City Office Manager, and members of the City Council at least twenty-four (24) hours in advance
- The Elkins Community Center Board shall advise and recommend to the City Council and the Mayor on all aspects of operation, use, rules of use, goals, of the Elkins Community Center Board. Annually, the Elkins Community Center Board shall develop a suggested program and operating budget to be submitted to the Mayor and Council day of October in each year for the subsequent year. The Elkins Community Center Board shall also recommend priorities for expenditures and means for financing same and shall prepare an annual progress report on the Board’s activities and efforts for the past year in April of each year beginning in 2015.
THIS ORDINANCE PASSED this __20th___ day of _March_, 2014.
- OrdinanceZ03202014B.pdf (88 Downloads)